Tips for Seniors to Prevent Varicose Veins
- Do not get carried away with hot baths, sauna, long stay in the sun.
- Increase your mobility. Regular, but moderate (without overload) sports activities strengthen the body as a whole, including the veins. Especially sports such as running, swimming, and aerobics are likely to prove beneficial.
- Lose weight. Excess weight not only puts unnecessary load on the muscles and skeleton but also on the cardiovascular system. Hence, it is necessary to strive for standard parameters and avoid sudden changes in weight.
- Do not wear tight clothing, stockings, and socks with tight elastic bands. Underwear with a supportive effect is to some extent useful for the tendency to varicose veins, but too tight clothing, on the contrary, squeezes the skin and veins, impeding circulation.
- Rotate the load evenly. Make sure that no part of the body, especially the lower limbs, is overworked or subjected to heavy loads for a long time.
- Try not to put your foot on the leg when you are sitting. This prevents the natural flow of blood through the veins.
- Get moving. It is harmful to veins to stay without movement or in one position for a long time (especially when sitting or standing), therefore it is desirable to move more and change posture more often, move weight from one foot to another, take short breaks in work.
- Cellulose. It reduces the risk of constipation, which can lead to the development of varicose veins.
- Exercise in the morning. Immediately after waking up and just before going to bed, you should do simple movements with your feet and toes – rotate them in different directions. It stimulates blood circulation, strengthening the muscles and veins.
- Do not wear heels and tight shoes.
- Drench your feet with cold water in the evenings after work.
- Walk barefoot, especially on the dewy grass and on the edge of water bodies in the summer.
In case of predisposition to varicose veins, it is recommended to have an independent regular foot massage with stroking and kneading movements from the feet to the thighs. However, if there is a diagnosis of “varicose veins”, this procedure should be discontinued since it can damage the diseased veins. The 2019 AARP Medicare supplement plans can allow the elderly to cover things such as deductible, co-insurance etc.